Vocabulary for school toppers 11
Fill in the blanks by inserting the appropriate word. a list of three such words are given at the end of the sentence.
1. Robert Frost was an ————- wanderer. He liked to walk long distances savouring the smell and sight of Nature. [vagabond, inveterate, copious]
2. Most empires fall when power and immorality get intertwined seeding their eventual downfall. Both in the Moghul and Roman empires’ palaces, lust, deceit, and love for unbridled power combined to fill the air with toxic venality. No wonder such ——————- began to weaken the empire from within, till it collapsed in ignominy. [indifference, sordidness, vainglorious]
3. The migrants, tired after months of being on the road, have finally reached the southern border of the United States. The wealthiest and mightiest country in the world is, however, refusing to open its door. For an ordinary person, their empty, emaciated, and —————– look evokes instant pity. [disorderly, bedraggled, downcast]
4. The voting in certain states like Florida has resulted in a situation where rival candidates are locked in a very close fight. Recounting of votes is going on and the anxiety of the candidates and their supporters has soared. In the White House, President Trump has ——————- with indignation, calling for stoppage of the recounting, and declaring the Republican as winner. [enamored, exploded, bristled]
5. The ongoing trade war between America and China shows no sign of subsiding. Some political analysts fear that such ——————-, if not reined in early, might lead to a catastrophic military conflict. [animus, daggers drawn, bonhomie]
[Answers will be posted soon.]