Odisha State Board Plus 2 — After Twenty Years by O. Henry –ANSWERS
After Twenty Years by O. Henry
Think it out 1 ..
1. How does the ….. The story is set in a lonely rain-drenched night in a desolate street in a city. A police officer is walking down the street, lost in the thought of a fugitive.
2. How did the … The policeman was smart, professional, and vigilant about the surroundings.
3. What picture .. Apparently, the criminal in the run had a pale face, square jaws, deep and dark eyes, with a scar near the right eyebrow. He was counterfeiting currencies, and no one knew his name.
4. How did the stranger ….. The stranger was the least nonplussed at the sight of the police officer. He began to talk matter-of-factly, showing no nervousness.
5. How did the policeman .. The stranger lit his lighter and brought it near his face. That gave a glimpse of the stranger’s face to the policeman.
Think it out 2 ..
1. What was the appointment .. They both promised to one another that they would meet up in the same place (where the stranger stood then), undr any circumstances. It was a solemn promise both agreed to keep despite their profession or place of location.
2. What information … The stranger was risk-taking adventurous type. He moved West to make money. He faced many challenges, but he succeeded. His friend was somewhat timid, and he stayed back in New York to chart his course.
Think it out 3 ..
- How long did the man ….. He waited for about twenty minutes.
- How did the man from .. They called out each other’s names. One asked if the other was ‘Bob’, and the second man asked if it was Jimmy Wells.
- When did Bob realize .. When they neared a medicine store, its bright light fel on their faces. They looked at each other, and Bob was in for a nasty surprise.
- Why did Jimmy .. Jimmy knew his friend Bob was wanted by Chicago Police. He felt it was unsafe to hobnob with a criminal. So, he hd Bob arrested.
- Did Jimmy keep his … Yes, Jimmy met his friend Bob after twenty years as planned. He was quite friendly. But on discovering tht Bob was a fugitive, he felt he should be arrested. But, it was very unpleasant for him to do so. So, he called in the police.