Report writing — Basic requirements for Journalists
Report writing with example
Reports can be one of the following types.
1. Reports for the media (Journalism)
2. Report by a subordinate to his superiors about a certain incident
3. Scientific reports
Let’s discuss Journalistic reporting ..
Everyday news reporters write and submit hundreds and thousands of reports about incidents as varied a snake bite to a world leader’s assassination, or a Maoist’s unexpected release from jail.
Writing the Lead .. This the opening portion of the dispatch which should be short (less than 27 words), the initial part of the story, a concluding part.
The most difficult thing is to maintain the highest level of accuracy, and objectivity. The other requirement is to keep the report totally free of the reporter’s personal views of the matter.
Let’s consider the recent tsunami in Indonesia.
The report filed in the first few hours of the incident can read something like this.
- Date and place of reporting. This is a mandatory requirement for all reports.
- Lead .. Deadly earthquake triggers massive tsunami around Sulawest islands in Indonesia. Massive loss of life and property feared. (17 words)
- Initial part of the report .. A 7.5 magnitude earthquake has caused a massive surge of sea waves in the islands surrounding Palu. The 30-feet high waves have flattened homes and shops. Despite the earlier warning, people had not evacuated their homes. Communication lines have snapped making it very difficult to assess damage and send in help. Air force helicopters are assisting the civilian authorities to carry food, medicines, and other supplies to areas made inaccessible by the tsunami. Rough estimates say more than 1000 people might have perished, and whole towns have been raged to ground.
- Last part .. It remains unclear how the tsunami alert was issued just an hour before the waters came rushing. Eye witnesses who survived the tsunami have been quick to blame the authorities for the tragedy. More reports are awaited.
For the reporter, truth is as important as information. All facts must be doubly checked before filing. Personal opinions must be kept out.
————————-To be contd————————