ISC English Literature Birches by Robert Frost -Explanation

You may also like...

8 Responses

1. Adrita Das says:

Sir can you please write the answer of the following two questions :
    1.Discuss birches as a swinging between imagination and reality.20 marks
    2. All of us desire to escape from the world but there are limits imposed by the real world. Discuss this statement with reference to Birches.
    Word limit 400-450.
    Please write these within this Wednesday.

2. Adrita Das says:

Sir can you please write the critical analysis of the poem biriches? Word limit-400-450. Please write it soon . Itissue very important for me?

3. Ad says:

Please write the analysis sir

• Satya Prakash says:

I told you earlier that my skill in English is limited. I don’t know how to write an Analysis. I have also sifted my focus to Physics and Maths. This is the reason I am sulking. Anyway, I will write it by Tuesday night, if that suits you.

4. Adrita Das says:

Thank you so much sir.

• Satya Prakash says:

Analysis of Birches

Robert Frost led a sad life for most part of his existence on earth. Although his poetic genius unraveled from his high school days, the world around him didn’t take notice of it. New England, where he lived, was particularly indifferent to him. Till he turned forty, not a single of his collection of poems were published. Such was his fate. He married Ellinor White who passed out from the same school as he, but the two soon had to face hard times. With no regular income, the duo struggled to earn a living. Frost took to teaching, and with Ellinor by his side, started a poultry firm to augment the family income.
      The struggle during these years perhaps shaped his views of Nature.
      In his poems ‘Home Burial’, The Death of the Hired Man’, and ‘North of Boston’, he emerges as a sad man who dreads the wild Nature and the cruelty of Fate that often ravages the lives of innocent people.
      But, in his core, he loved Nature and knew it was the most invigorating gift of God t mankind. So, his views on Nature slowly began to change. In ‘Stopping by the Woods in a Snowy Evening’, he shows how enthralled he is with the dark forests and the snow. Nevertheless, the dark face of Nature that lurks behind these lonely trees can hardly be ignored.
      In Birches, he sees Nature as a benign force that brings joy and frolic to those who stare at him. The deadly snowfall that weigh down the branches of the birch trees do not frighten him. Instead, the sight leaves him bemused and thoughtful. The snow has descended on the birch clusters. Everything appears so depressing and desolate, but it is not going to last long. The snow would melt eventually freeing the birch branches of their shackles of snow. Frost is not the least scared. Instead, he is upbeat and joyful.

As the breeze rises, and turn many-colored
      As the stir cracks and crazes their enamel.
      Soon the sun’s warmth makes them shed crystal shells

Robert Frost had rich imagination and a kindly soul. He liked to see the way boys gambol in the snow-laden birch trees. He recalls his childhood days when he played in the birch tree clusters, climbing up, sliding down and at times, scaring himself.

So was I once myself a swinger of birches.
      And so I dream of going back to be.
      It’s when I’m weary of considerations,
      And life is too much like a pathless wood
      Where your face burns and tickles with the cobwebs

Robert Frost was an avid Nature watcher all his life. He saw Nature in its myriad forms, sometimes benign and some other time extremely destructive. But, the trials and tribulations of his early life had left him worried and distraught. Glory, that he so richly deserved, was late in coming. His recitation of one of his poems in President Kennedy’s swearing in ceremony was a recognition of the adulation he received from the American public, and the poetry lovers of the world at large.

5. Adrita Das says:

Thank you sir for helping me .