Vocabulary building for good writing 2
Fill in the blanks in the sentences by chosng the right word / phrase, a list of which is given below.
Hindu words January 20, 2018
Hobson’s choice, Give a fillip to, Mushroom as verb, Disdain, Standoff, Horrendous, Whirlwind, Keel, Heyday, Ploy, Façade, Sectarian, Tenterhook
1. Luckily for India, the Doklam —— ended with neither side losing its face. Without resolution, the conflict could have led to a very destructive war between China and India.
2. It is widely believed that under the ——- of cow protection, some hoodlums settle scores with rivals, extort money, and, thus, bring a bad name to this noble cause.
3. It is a fact that Lord Krishna had held last minute parleys with Duryodhana to avoid the war. But, the arrogant Duryodhana treated his overtures with ———–.
4. The U.S. government is facing ———- —- in both Syria and Afghanistan. If it stays there longer, it has to incur loss of men, material and money with no great strategic or political gain. On the other hand, a quick exit will be perceived as capitulation to enemy forces, akin to what had happened in Vietnam.
5. During her ———-, Suchitra Sen, the iconic actor of Bengali cinema had numerous acting offers, accolades, and, most importantly, a place in everyone’s heart. The irony is, this celebrated artist chose to live out her last life as a recluse, refusing to meet anyone.
6. In the ruckus that followed the AGM, giant bust of the founder of the company ——– over and injured some agitating shareholders.
7. No doubt, despite its shortcomings, the ‘Make in India’ initiative has given a ——– to indigenous manufacturing and R&D efforts.
8. Indian electioneering has always been very colorful and chaotic. Sadly though, in the ——–of accusations and rebuttals, we get to witness very unsavoury scenes.
9. People in Syria, like in most Arab countries, get drawn into ——— conflicts as a result of deeply-entrenched tribal animosity.
10. For days after the mysterious disappearance of Flight MH-370, relatives of the passengers remained in ———– .
11. After the advent of broadband services in India, internet cafes have ——- all over the country.
12. Tata group of companies went through severe turmoil soon after the group Chairman Cyrus Mistry was shown the door. It appears, the present chairman has succeeded in putting the business in even ———.
13. Under the —— of assisting the female nurse, the doctor unduly leaned over her. Now, he faces serious sexual harassment charges.