Grammar tips — Use of ‘-ing’ as noun
Some confusion inherent in English grammar ….
Read the construction of the following sentences …
Do you mind my speaking (in) Hindi? .. Very formal and fully correct
Do you mind me speaking (in) Hindi? … Informal, but acceptable
I understand his wanting a change in his duty. Very formal and fully correct
I understand him wanting a change in his duty. Informal, but acceptable
The bank’s agreeing to extend the deadline for loan repayment made things a lot easier. Very formal and fully correct
The bank agreeing to extend the deadline for loan repayment made things a lot easier. Informal, but acceptable
Other ways of the use of –ing is as follows. [All these uses are deemed correct.]
a. The worst thing about the result publication is the waiting that precedes it.
b. All the ceaseless arguing in T.V debates frays my nerves.
c. The most horrible time for a job is the waiting for the interview call.
d. The frying of fish in my neighbour’s home made my vegetarian mother vomit.
e. The shouting and screaming of the captain made the players feel humiliated.
f. Lighting fires in forests by picnickers is forbidden.
The lighting of fires in forests by picnickers is forbidden.
But, don’t write ..
The lighting fires in forests is forbidden.
Rewrite the following sentences to make them look more ‘informal’.
1. I am surprised at his accepting my invitation to come for tea. Model answer .. I am surprised at him accepting my invitation to come for tea. Or I am surprised that he has accepted my invitation to come for tea.
2. Do you mind my sitting beside you? Answer .. Do you mind if I sit here?
3. I don’t understand Kohli’s declining invitation for the fashion show.
4. We were surprised at Pariker’s being appointed Defense Minister.
5. I hate Mamta Banarjee’s blowing hot and cold over minor political issues.
6. I detest his lecturing us on morality when he himself is so immoral.
7. Do you remember my telling you I have kept Rs. One lakh as fixed deposit in your name?
8. I am worried about the coach’s not traveling with the team.
Some more hints …
a. His resignation from the post of the Vice Chancellor’s post shocked everyone. Good way
His resigning from the post of Vice Chancellor shocked everyone . Does not sound good, but acceptable
b. Kejriwal’s decision to challenge the Lieutenant Governor was quite courageous. Good way
Kejriwal’s deciding to challenge the Lieutenant Governor was quite courageous. Does not sound good, but acceptable.
[Answers will be posted tomorrow.]